
LC350th 2025 Calendar
Bertrand Leslie Shurtleff
Bertrand Leslie Shurtleff was born in Adamsville on August 3, 1897, 7th of the 10 children of Eugene K. Shurtleff and Hattie E. Cook. At 14 he left home and became self-supporting. At 18 he returned to school and prepared for college in 3 years at Greenwich Academy. He enlisted in the Navy Reserve at the start of World War I, serving in a powder factory in New Jersey for the summer. He then went into active duty and trained in Newport until he was sent to Brown University to study for a commission.
At the end of the war, he stayed at Brown and participated in wrestling and football. He won the intercollegiate lightweight wresting title in 1919-20. He also was one of Brown’s finest football linemen, playing two years at tackle before shifting to center in his senior year. He was quick at diagnosing plays and was an aggressive tackler, never wearing a helmet. Bert is listed on Brown University’s elite Hall of Fame. He worked at many jobs to pay his way through college, including crewing on a fruit boat to Costa Rica. During his life, he was a coal barge trimmer, an athletic coach, a structural steel worker, an English teacher, and a sailor He was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity and graduated in 1922.
He wrote a book of original verse, “Songs at Anchor,” while still a student and sold 2,000 copies in 1922-23. He was a professional football player for 7 years with the New York Giants, Providence Steamrollers, and Boston Bulldogs. Later he wrestled professionally under the name “Mad Murdock,” and ran a carnival. He lectured in high schools and colleges on the fakery in professional wrestling, and also attempted to break into the movie scene, with little success.
His first novel “Carey’s Carnival” was published in London. “Charleston Bound,” a novel about Rhode Island in the American Revolution, was also published in England under the name S.B. Leslie. Between 1928 and 1963 Bert published 14 books and sold stories to over 60 magazines. He married Hope Seal in 1922, and they had 3 children: Jeane, Faith, and David. He married second Margaret Dorgan in 1946. Bert passed away on February 15, 1969, in Orange County, California at the age of 69. His ashes are buried under a huge rock on the north side of what was the upper lot of the family farm in Adamsville.
Margaret (Astle) Bodington
Margaret (Astle) Bodington was born in Canada on April 20, 1884, to James and Ellen (Brown) Astle. She came to Little Compton around 1897. Maggie and Robert Bodington, the son of Edward and Jane (Wollaston) Bodington, were married on November 7, 1905, at the Free Will Baptist Church in Tiverton. Maggie and Robert had four boys: Raymond, Ralph, Karl, and Irving. Census records listed Robert as a Mail Contractor for the U.S. government, a shop keeper, and a farmer. Sadly, Robert died in 1917 at the age of 33. Maggie was the “official hostess” of the Brownell House for 46 years, retiring in 1969. In 1968 a town-wide tribute to Maggie was held, declaring May 23, 1968, as “Maggie Bodington Day.” Many groups were represented, such as the Town Council, Nursing Association, United Congregational Church, St. Catherine’s Church, Village Improvement Society, American Legion Post and Auxiliary, Odd Fellows and Rebekahs, Grange, Garden Club, 4-H Town Committee, Red Cross, Boy and Girl Scouts, and the Josephine Wilbur School. Maggie was a member of the United Congregational Church (initially she was a member of the Methodist Church, but after that church was razed, she joined the Congregationalists). She became a member of the Social Rebekah Lodge in 1912 and served as their chaplain for years, as well as the Grange, where she held the same office.
In one of his IN PERSPECTIVE columns David Patten speaks about Maggie’s legendary fear of thunderstorms. He tells of a luncheon she was serving at Dr. Brennan’s home, when a storm rose up over the Sakonnet, and after one loud crash, she hot footed it down Meeting House Lane to the Brownell House in the driving rain, leaving the luncheon half served!
Maggie passed away in 1975 and is buried in Pleasant View Cemetery in Tiverton.
Abel Head “Shanghai” Pierce
Abel Head “Shanghai” Pierce was born in Little Compton on June 29, 1834, to Jonathan & Hanna (Head) Pierce. No one really knows how he got his nickname: some thought it was because of his size (6’4”) and his lankiness, that folks thought he looked like a Shanghai rooster! After apprenticing at his uncle’s business in Virginia he stowed away on a ship in the New York harbor. The ship arrived in Indianola, Texas 5 months later. He went to work as a ranch hand, and by shrewdness, hard work, and determination he became an authority on cattle. He took his first year’s pay in cattle, which he branded AP. He and his brother Jonathan served in the Confederate Cavalry during the Civil War, and when they returned, they found their holdings had been sold for Confederate money! They organized the very successful Rancho Grande partnership in 1871. He married Fanny Lacey, and they had one child. When both mother and child died, Shanghai converted everything he had for gold and went to Kansas for 18 months. When he returned, he began buying land, ultimately acquiring 250,000 acres and establishing the Pierce-Sullivan Pasture Company which sent thousands of head of cattle up the northern trails. In 1875 he married Hattie James, and they had a daughter, Mary Frances. He traveled Europe looking for cattle that would be resistant to a tick plaguing the Gulf Coast, and was convinced the Brahmans from India were the answer. He died on December 26, 1900, without knowing he was 100% correct. After his death the Brahman cattle imported by his estate formed the base stock for all Brahmans.
Legend has it Shanghai’s voice was so loud that even when he was whispering it could be heard 1/2 mile away! He commissioned a ten-foot statue of himself and placed it on his gravesite long before his death, so he’d have time to appreciate it! Shanghai was related to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow as well as U.S. President Franklin Pierce, but he became a legend unto himself, one of the most colorful cattlemen Texas ever saw!
Richard Paull
Richard Waldo Paull was born on June 2, 1925, in Westport, Ma., the son of Jennie (Bowen) and Byron Paull. He lived most of his life on Colebrook Road in Little Compton, and the last few years of his life at Heritage Park in Tiverton. In his early years he worked for various farmers and other businesses in the Westport, Little Compton, and Tiverton areas. For over 45 years he worked on Long Highway in Little Compton for the Wilkie family – first for Chet Wilkie Sr. at the service station and construction company, and later for Chet Wilkie Jr., owner of Wilkie Excavating, Inc.
Known by most as Lightning, he was a staunch champion of the Little Compton Volunteer Fire Department, storing the tanker truck and antique fire truck for many years in his Colebrook Road garage and maintaining these, as well as other fire department vehicles.
One of his other great interests was stock car racing. His red 1935 Ford coach, Number 242, was a contender for many years at Seekonk Speedway.
Lightning was also a fan of tractor pulling and was a member of the Little Compton Tractor Pullers’ Association, attending every event, and competing with his recognizable blue tractor.
Richard passed away at the Crestwood Nursing Home on February 10, 2013. He was predeceased by his mother, father, and sister Doris. He was buried at Pleasant View Cemetery.
Warren Bradford Nickerson
Warren Bradford Nickerson was born on September 28, 1931 in Westport, to Eric C. & Rose Alice Wood Nickerson (daughter of Alonzo and Rose Blair). His other siblings included Wilbur, Ethel, Janet, Shirley, Alice, and Donald. A lifetime resident, Warren attended Little Compton schools and worked alongside his father as an auto mechanic at Nickerson’s Garage. A man of unlimited energy, many remember him running from the gas pumps to the cash register all day long. Warren joined the U.S. Army on April 21, 1952, and served in Korea during the Korean Conflict until his discharge on April 12, 1954. After returning home he married Eugenia Janice Pontes (daughter of Antone DeRego and Mary E. Cotta Pontes), and they had five children: Warren Jr., David, Allen, Michael, and Donna; five grandchildren: Amanda, Krystal, Allen Jr, Allison, and Jenna; and one great-grandson, Jackson.
Warren was active in the community as a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Odd Fellows, the L.C. Volunteer Fire Department, and the L.C. American Legion Post #37. As a member of the latter, Warren was parade marshal extraordinaire of the Memorial Day Parade on the Commons from 1955 until his death in October of 1994, a run of 39 years. Warren knew how to shape up that parade in no time. With his list in hand, he would march up and down the congregated organizations, clergy, town officials, politicians, Little League, Scouts, school band, etc., and in no time, Warren would have fit the pieces of the parade together, so that at EXACTLY 10 a.m. they would step off twice around the Commons, American flags flying high! And as Warren was often heard to say, “Let me tell you something Mister,” that was no easy feat. Warren was proud of his community, his family, his military service, and his country. So, all those American flags flying high represented his dedication to them, and to all of us.
Manuel Peters Camara
Manuel Peters Camara was born on January 31, 1902, on the island of San Miguel, the Azores, to Jacinta (Jesse) Camara and Marianna Perreira da Estrella, and emigrated to the United States when he was 3 years old. He became a citizen in 1937.
He attended #4 school but left when his father died, and he had to go to work. For 35 years he worked at Red Top Farm Red Top Farm, ultimately becoming the farm manager for owner, Joseph F. Sherer.
In 1971 he was appointed Surveyor for all Little Compton roads, and tarred the last dirt road on the north end of John Dyer Road.
Manuel married Jennie Barker Durfee of Tiverton, R.I. in 1927. They met at the dances at the Odd Fellows Hall in Adamsville. Manuel and Jennie had three daughters: Carolyn Jane (Montgomery), Barbara Elaine (Passmore), and Jane Lee (Thurston). In his retirement he moved into the family homestead he had built for his mother in the 1920’s. He converted the Harold Sherman barn into a home in the late 1940’s, having brought the barn over the field and placed it at the north of the Furneaux Sisson farm. In the 1960’s he built a new home on the Sisson farm and transferred 2 acres to each of his eleven grandchildren.
He was a “dowser” and could find water in the ground by using a forked willow branch, which he did for many people. Manuel was a self-made man; honest, caring and always ready to help others in need. He was honored by the Village Improvement Society for his many years barbecuing chicken for their major fund raiser. One of his most proud accomplishments was to make the marsh on Meeting House Lane into the “Ponderosa,” to be enjoyed by the townspeople.
Manuel Pete, as he was sometimes called, passed away on June 15, 1989, and is buried in Our Lady of Fatima cemetery in Little Compton.
Edward H. Bowen
Edward H. Bowen was born on October 1, 1896, near Clapp’s Corner on what is now Peckham Road in Little Compton, the youngest of Charles H. and Isabel (Taylor) Bone’s ten children. His early days were spent farming, cutting fire wood, cutting/delivering ice, learning carpentry and working at the Burchard estate at the corner of West Main Road and Meeting House Lane.
He attended school # 5, the Stone School, on the crest of the hill on Long Highway, south of Colebrook Road. Edward was an early radio enthusiast and built a radio when the technology was in its infancy. He owned a motorcycle as a young man and along with some friends, was among the first to bring a motorcycle to Martha's Vineyard.
Edward was hired as the caretaker of the Sealands Estate by John and Eva McGowan and was employed there from approximately 1915-1932.
In 1925 he married Mary McGovern, a native of County Cavan, Ireland, who was employed by a Providence family with a summer home in Little Compton.
He was a charter member of the L.C. Volunteer Fire Department, serving as director for many years. In 1936, he was elected to the L.C. Town Council and served until 1940. He was subsequently elected to the R.I. House of Representatives and served from 1940-1962. He introduced the legislation making Little Compton’s Rhode Island Red the official R.I. State Bird.
During World War II, he was a Civil Defense Evacuation Marshall and aircraft observer, receiving the Distinguished Service Award from Governor J. Howard McGrath for his work in the Citizens’ Defense Corp. For many years he worked as a carpenter for Colson Simmons Contracting, a local builder, retiring in 1959. He was a trustee of St. Catherine's Church from 1949-1969.
Edward was the father of one son, Edward Howland “Ted” Bowen who went on to practice law in R.I. for more than 50 years. He is the grandfather of 5 and great-grandfather of 12 (10 of whom still proudly reside in Little Compton).
George and Joseph Goulart
George and Joseph Goulart were co-owners of Franlart Farm, a dairy farm in Little Compton, R.I. They were two of the nine children born to Francisco (Frank) and Mary Ray Goulart, who moved with their children in the early 1920’s from Middletown to Little Compton to start their new farm on Willow Avenue. When Frank died in 1954, Mary worked the farm with her sons George, Joseph, and Thomas.
The four of them renamed the farm “Franlart,” using the first four letters of Frank, and the last four letters of their last name. Thomas eventually left the farm to work for the telephone company. George and Joseph lived in Little Compton their entire lives; both having graduated from the Josephine F. Wilbur School. They were active members of St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church. George married Lorraine Souza, and Joseph married Lorraine Rogers, and each couple had seven children. All fourteen of the children worked on the farm.
Over time, George and Joseph focused on dairy farming, and in 1952 built a new barn and enlarged the herd to 65 Holstein cows. In 1960 Franlart Farm was awarded the Green Pastures Award as the top dairy in Rhode Island. The Newport County DHIA (Dairy Herd Information Association) recognized the farm for having the highest producing Holstein cow in the county in 1961. The Hoard’s Dairyman magazine featured George and Joseph in an article on brothers being farm partners in December 1964. In 1967 George and Joseph transitioned to using an 8-stanchion milking parlor and built a loose housing pole barn that accommodated 135 cows. They were able to milk the 135 cows in the same amount of time it took to milk the 65 cows in the individual stanchion barn. Joseph retired in 1981, and George continued to farm for the next five years, retiring in 1986.
Lewis Francis Rogers
Lewis Francis Rogers was born to Antone and Maria Rogers in 1895 at the Maple Avenue homestead purchased by Antone in 1893. Lewis lived and worked there his entire life until he died in the same room where he was born 90 years later.
Antone was accidentally killed at a church festival on Willow Avenue in 1907 when Lewis was 11 years old. Being the oldest male child, Lewis took over his father’s work responsibilities by hiring out as a landscaper and maintaining the family farm as his 4 siblings continued their educations.
In 1923 Lewis purchased an established ice business from Fred Bodington Sr. He harvested ice from leased ponds and stored it in ice houses on site and at his residence. Years later he acquired artificially manufactured ice which he delivered until refrigeration became the norm.
Lewie loved Little Compton and its people. In addition to his business and farming activities, Lewis drove school buses for 53 years from 1918-1971 and was town Transportation Supervisor for most of that time. As such, he experienced the muddy and rutted unpaved roads and was motivated to become the town’s Surveyor of Highways from 1922-1935. He volunteered to pave the first road in Little Compton when the town agreed to pay for the cost of materials. He was one of the original organizers of the Little Compton Volunteer Fire Department, was Deputy Chief for 8 years, and Chief for 22 years from 1941-1963. He served on the town Budget Committee from 1934-1947, and the Beach Commission from 1938-1984 (serving as chairman from 1950-1984).
He married Virginia Roy in 1931, and together they had one son, Gardner, who today resides on the homestead with his wife. Lewis and Virginia are buried in St. Catherine’s cemetery.
Chester Raymond Wilkie Sr.
Chester Raymond Wilkie Sr. was born in Little Compton on October 14, 1909, the second child of Benjamin F. and Addie (Kirby) Wilkie. His father died when he was only 8 years old, and the family became fragmented with the younger children being parceled out to relatives.
Chet attended the Stone School (a one room school on Long Highway), and then later worked as a day laborer at various farms and other businesses. In 1931 he married Inez (Cornell), daughter of Mabel and Arthur Cornell of Westport. Chet and Inez had four children: Chester Raymond Jr., Arthur Benjamin, and twins Caroline and Carlton. Chet was quite the entrepreneur. He tried his hand at many occupations. He began Wilkie and Sons Construction Company, and built Wilkie’s Service Station (repairs and gas, as well as a convenience store) on Long Highway in the late 1940’s. He was a sought-after auctioneer and became very well-known along the eastern seaboard as a square dance caller. He built Chet’s Barn on Pottersville Road in the late 50’s, which became a popular place for Little Compton and surrounding towns. Square dancing, auctions, clambakes, pig roasts, wedding receptions, corporate functions and meetings were held there. He had his own band, The Drifters, so named because when they had a gig, they “drifted” into the event, and he formed a square dance club, The Barn Owls, who traveled all over the east coast to dance. Chet was very active in the community. He taught square dancing at the school and the Grange (long time member), was noble grand many times of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and served on many committees. He was Little Compton’s appointed Pound Keeper, rounding up stray animals and keeping them in the pound until the owners retrieved them.
Chet succumbed to the ravages of emphysema on February 7, 1967, in his 58th year, and is buried in Pleasant View Cemetery.
Alice Clarie Gray Bullock
Alice Clarie Gray Bullock was born in Elmore, Vermont on August 19, 1885, the daughter of Hattie Louise Bolton and George Monroe Gray. Her family was deeply rooted in Little Compton, dating back to the Mayflower. Her grandfather moved to Vermont, married and raised his children there. Alice’s father and his siblings eventually all moved back to this area, so, Alice was here in Little Compton since she was 10 years old. She attended elementary schools here, and then was sent to board so she could attend East Greenwich Academy. From there she was able to attend Rhode Island Normal School in Providence, become a teacher, and then return to Little Compton to teach in one room schools #1 and #2 (#1 school was at the junction of Warren’s Point Road and Sakonnet Point Road /Richmond’s Corner, and #2 was at the top of Taylor's Lane).
In July of 1910 Alice and Richard Everett Bullock were married in Provincetown, Massachusetts. Richard was the son of Walter Jesse David Bullock and Ella Maria Wilbur. Richard and Alice had four children: Priscilla Alden, Richard David, Virginia Alice, and Francis Gray (who became Little Compton’s Fire Chief). When Richard passed away in 1929 Alice was left with the responsibility of the four children, ranging in age from 18 to 7.
Alice became assistant librarian to Nancy Almy and then became head librarian when the library was in the Town Hall. The Brownell Library, which began as a privately operated library in 1929, was incorporated with the town library in 1963. Alice served the town of Little Compton as librarian for 42 years.
She passed away on December 14, 1968, just a few months after her retirement date of August 1, and is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Fall River.
Ida Pearce Wilbur Smith
Ida Pearce Wilbur Smith was born in Little Compton on January 28, 1893, to Charles Richmond and Nancy Ann Pearce Wilbur. She was educated in Little Compton Schools and graduated from Herrick’s Institute, a business school in Fall River.
In addition to working at Wilbur’s general store, she was the town librarian. She was a talented musician, playing both the piano and organ, and was a vocal soloist. Ida was a member of the Methodist church and was their organist until the church succumbed to fire in 1940. She then joined the Congregational Church and became the pianist for the Sunday School, and the church organist. She also taught piano to many local children. Ida was very active in the community. She belonged to the Ladies’ Aid of both churches, was a member of the Legion Auxiliary where she spent many hours raising funds for the veterans. She was active in the Grange and the Village Improvement Society. In 1969 she was honored by the latter for serving her community with dedication, and again in 1983 by the same organization who named the day in her honor during the annual chicken barbecue. In 1969 the American Legion Post #37 named Ida the Citizen of the Year. In 1975 she was a member of the Tricentennial Committee and helped plan Little Compton’s 300th birthday.
Ida worked at Wilbur’s her entire life, taking over with her brother Arthur and their mother when Charles died in 1914, then when Nancy died in 1936, she and Arthur took on more responsibility. When Arthur died in 1950, Ida and her husband Fred Smith (whom she married in 1936) took over, and when Fred died in 1965 Ida was left with the sole responsibility of “minding the store.” She passed away in 1985 at the age of 92 and is buried in Pleasant View Cemetery.